The ZK246 tape recorder was one of the best equipped and "serious" looking popular tape recorders. It was produced at Zakłady Radiowe Kasprzaka (ZRK) since 1973, but a large part was assembled at home because the components were available. Initially, I was going to assemble the ZK240, but after completing a large part of the components, I replaced the top cover with the Zk246 in the version produced for Thompson, I bought the missing components and started to assemble the stereo version of the recorder. My "folder" corresponds to the version produced in 1977.
The technical possibilities were enormous, it made it possible to:
- recording sound from a microphone, radio receiver, turntable or second tape recorder in a mono or stereo system;
- synchronous recording / playback /;
- rewriting from track to track with overdubbing / multi playback /;
- reading your own record or made on another tape recorder, playing it through your own speakers, additional speakers or through an amplifier.
It could be used horizontally or vertically.
ZK-246 was produced for export to France as Pathe Marconi MB 954 and Thomson MB945.
- Tape speed: 19cm / s / 9.5cm / s
- Number of Tracks: 4
- Non-uniformity of travel:
- for 19cm / s ≤0.15%
- for 9.5cm / s ≤0.20%
- Range of transmitted frequencies:
- for 19cm / s 40-18000 Hz
- for 9.5 cm / s 40-16000 Hz
- Maximum spool diameter: 180 mm
- Reading time for full spool with 26 µm tape:
- 2-4 hours stereo
- 4-8 hours mono
- Rewinding time of 26 µm tape: 240 s
- for 19cm / s ≥48 dB
- for 9.5cm / s ≥45 dB
- Erase efficiency: 65 dB
- Penetration Suppression:
- mono 40 dB
- stereo 30 dB
- 2x microphone (0.12 - 3 mV) 5 kΩ
- radio 2x (0.1–3 V) 910 kΩ
- 2x turntable (5 - 100 mV) 47 kΩ
- radio ≥ 2x0.3 V Rout 5 kΩ
- headphones ≥ 2x0.6 V Robc 10 kΩ
- Output power :
- at h = 2% 2x3 W.
- at h = 5% 2x5 W.
- Power supply: 220 V 50 Hz
- Power consumption: 80 W
- Dimensions 440 x 340 x 170 mm
- Weight approx. 12 kg